Saturday, July 5, 2008

my 1st week as a NON- l&d nurse.

This week turned out slightly different than expected. But before I start bitching about how I did not see even one delivery or how not one person was in labor during any of the 36 hours I've worked the past 3 days I want to say that I really actually love it. The nurse I've been working with is amazing. All of the nurses here are awesome. I have truly loved my 1st 3 shifts and seriously can't wait to work more. I've learned sooo much and I've feeling more confident than I was going into this experience.
So basically so far I've done a zillion mom/babe assessments, 5 hearing screenings, passed meds (vicodin, darvocet, motrin and colace..big freaking deal), d/c'd a couple foleys and IV's, done a bunch of education etc. I am literally working post partum right now. During the down time I'm learning to read every kind of strip imaginable, watching a bunch of videos on breastfeeding, natural birthing etc (they are very hippie and al natural here, it's awesome), learning more in depth about PIH, HELLP, GDM and how to do a correct vag exam. Also, a couple moms came in to be monitored for diff reasons. One was 22weeks and came in on the 4th when she was hiking to go watch the fireworks and tripped and fell on her stomach. She felt a gush of water and couldn't feel the baby moving anymore. It was really sad and she was SO upset so we did a urine sample, set her up on the fetal heart monitor and the Dr came in to do an ultrasound to check fluid levels.
This hospital is super small, the OB unit has 3 labor rooms and 4 mom/babe rooms. I was talking to my nurse about how frustrated I was that no one has been in labor on my shift and she said that I will definitely get to see a bunch...so we'll see. I changed my schedule and I'm now working on Monday during a scheduled induction for a multipara mom so I should def be seeing something then.
Well I feel like I'm rambling on about nothing, just thought I'd fill you in on my totally un-eventful week. I'll get back to you on how next week goes ;)

2 comments:

Caroline said...

don't worry, those babies can't stay inside forever! you'll see a bunch of births in no time!

i'm glad you're feeling more comfortable on the floor and just getting more experience! go hippy dippy it out for me and teach ME about natural birth/breastfeeding when you get back =)

miss you like crazy!

Tricia said...

uneventful? NOT! at least you are getting experience in the specialty you want to do!! so that's exciting enough! i'm soo glad you are getting more comfortable and confident. i can't wait to see you work it in semester 8!! =)

and can't wait to read more!!