so as you know I went to two interviews on Monday, December 8th. My 9:00 interview was in the NICU with the nurse manager. My interview (I thought) went really well. It lasted 50min and afterwards she said "well if you don't mind I'd love to show you around the unit." This I thought was a really good sign because why would she waste her time showing me around if she wasn't into me...right? I left the NICU feeling pretty hopeful and excited around 10:20am. The NICU at Sacred Heart is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. my jaw dropped when we walked on the unit. It is sooooo new and beautiful. they modeled it after Alta Bates NICU which is known all over for being so state of the art and amazing haha. The NICU is located in the Children's Hospital. The Children's Hospital is as big as the general hospital except its like 10 times newer.
My second interview I met the HR manager in the lobby of the general hospital and he took me up to the surgical unit I was interviewing at. The HR guy told me to go to the next building after my interview was over so we could talk "numbers" and go over the union contract in the event I was offered a job. The hospital is SOOO big and has so many units that the surgical units are divided up based on what type of surgery the patient has had (if that makes any sense) so the unit I interviewed for was specifically for abdominal surgery patients (Bariatric surgery, appendectomy, cholecystectomy etc). There were other units (GYN, renal surgery etc and medical as well). Anyways, right from the start I really felt comfortable and loved, loved, loved this nurse manager. She was sooo nice and was just explaining to me about the new grad program and all that. Then she asked me 3 super easy questions and asked me where I saw myself being happy during my nursing career. I said I was very interested in L&D and NICU.. I was nervous about being totally honest with her in case she didn't like the fact that I wanted to be a med/surg nurse for the rest of my life haha. she was soo nice and understanding and told me that I look like and have the personality of a labor and delivery or peds nurse. She showed me around the unit and said that I would make a great addition to her staff and hugged me goodbye hahaa. I kind of had a feeling that interview went well. lol
So after that meeting I walked about 5 min over to the HR office. I walked into his office and he told me he had just gotten off the phone with the manager I had just interviewed with and she wanted me for her dept. I was sooo shocked and flattered!! But I was still verrrry hopeful that the NICU manager would want me too.
Friday morning I got an email from the NICU manager that said this...
Hi Mary,
I very much enjoyed my time with you on the 8th and feel you would be a good fit for our unit. I have formally asked Bob Hebner in HR to check references with intent to offer you employment. At this time, I have several 30 hour/week openings on nights. You had indicated you were looking for full time (36-hours). If the 30-hour will work for you, let me know. Full time positions open fairly frequently.
Have wonderful holidays! Jean
Ten minutes after recieiving this email the HR manager called me and formally offered me BOTH jobs. So now the dillema....choosing which one. Obviously I want the NICU position...BADLY but its only 30hr/week. and I really don't want to work on the ab surg unit but it is 40hr/week and the manager is great. SOOO what to do?? I'm calling Monday to make my final decision. Is there anyone who doesn't vote NICU???
HELLLLP.
p.s. sorry for THE longest blog ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
lol. it's all good. love the long blogs.
well, do what you love. that's my motto and you know that. yeah, you'll get more hours with abd surg BUT you'll be happier i think in the NICU b/c it is what you want to do. so i say NICU. but do what your <3 feels is best b/c that's what's matters the most.
oh i got you a lil sumthin yesterday. :)
Post a Comment